Malaria is one of the life-threatening parasitic infectious diseases, This disease mostly occurs due to a mosquito bite called anopheles which is found in tropical areas. When anopheles carry the plasmodium parasite and bite a healthy one, It transmits the parasite to him and he will be diseased.
The life cycle of malaria in human:
When the parasite enters the human body, it begins the life cycle in the blood going to the liver where it matures and multiples. Then the multiplier parasites return again to blood attacking the blood cells.
Transmission of malaria:
Mostly malaria is transmitted through the bite of female anopheles mosquito but it also can be transmitted from the diseased individuals to the healthy through several ways:
The symptoms appear within 10 days to a month, or the parasite may still be inactive and no symptoms appear for several months.
Unfortunately the symptoms of malaria are highly close to the respiratory and digestive disorders which make it difficult to be diagnosed.
General symptoms of malaria:
- Fever and high body temperature.
- Sweating and shivering.
- Seizures and cramps.
- Headache and dizziness.
- Bloody vomiting and diarrhea, this is because of the breakdown of the blood cells.
- Feeling fatigue and muscle pain.
- ٍٍStomach ache.
But these symptoms are closely related to many symptoms, so it must be diagnosed.
Diagnosis of malaria: Malaria diagnosis depends on:
- Case history including a mosquito bite or being in a tropical region.
- Clinical signs by following the signs appear on the patient and taking his body temperature measurement also the doctor can use sonar to see an enlarged liver or spleen.
- Blood examination (Malaria- testing).
- Hb testing.
After touching on some hints of malaria symptoms and how to be diagnosed. We will talk about the treatment which depends mainly on killing this parasite.
The treatment differs according to the type of parasite, severity of symptoms, age of the patient and if the patient is a pregnant woman.
- Medications combine between the active ingredients: atovaquone and proguanil like: malarone.
- Drugs combine between doxycycline and quinine sulphate such as: vibramycin antibiotic.
- Color Sulphate derivatives are used for parasitic diseases treatment, but they are not effective on malaria.
But you should ask the doctor before taking any medications. And because protection is better than treatment, medical me advises you to take your preventive measures before travelling to any tropical area such as: Using mosquito net and placing it specially before bed, rubbing the body with anti-mosquito ointments, and consulting the doctor about the presence of an anti-malaria vaccine, but if you feel any of the symptoms of malaria, start the treatment immediately.
- September 2021
- August 2021
- July 2021