Bones and joints diseases mostly appear as back and knees pain.
What is bone function?
1- Support organs.
2- Calcium storage.
3- Protect some internal body organs like the brain which is protected by the skull, and the spinal cord which is protected by vertebrates.
4- Release some hormones that regulate blood sugar levels.
5- Synthesis of blood cells through the bone marrow.
Common diseases that affect our bones:
1- Osteoporosis: One of the most common bone diseases, the bones become weak and vulnerable to fractures.
2- Bone diseases caused by malnutrition: deficiency of vitamin D, calcium and phosphorus affect bones. Causing osteomalacia.
3- Fractures: Acute fractures occur as a result of severe trauma, and sometimes due to bone cancer or severe osteoporosis.
4- Back pain: one of the most common problems, especially the lower back pain, and with the persistence of pain, it is considered a chronic disease and this pain can be relieved using:
- Sports tape.
- Medical backrest cushion.
- Massage devices.
- Coccygeal seat.
- Silicon heels cushions.
- Anti-bedsore mattress.
6- Arched back: it can be treated with a collarbone tightening belt.
7- Herniated disc.
What are the most common joint diseases?
Joint is the area where two bones are met and contain bone marrow in between. The most common joints’ diseases are:
1- Joint stiffness: This disease occurs mostly as a result of osteoporosis and causes cartilage erosion. Stiffness is common in old ages over 50 years old and fat people, Its symptoms are: severe joint pain, decreased flexibility, and difficulty in moving and walking.
2- Rheumatoid arthritis: It is considered an autoimmune disease where the immune system attacks the body itself, causing joint stiffness and severe pain. It may lead to osteoporosis and erosion of the joint. Also, this immune disease may affect other organs such as: eyes, skin, lungs, heart, and blood vessels.
3- Spondylitis: Arthritis is associated with psoriasis or intestinal inflammation. This disease causes inflammation of the joints and its complications include the stiffness of the vertebrates, and losing flexibility.
4- Gout: It is an inflammation that occurs in the thumb joint of foot, causing severe pain with redness. It is a result of accumulation of uric acid around the joint and more common in men.
5- Roughness of the knee: It results from wearing of the knee cartilage, which increases the friction between the two bones that meet at knee joint; It causes severe pain, especially when getting up the stairs, and bending the knees for a long time.
These Diseases are chronic, so the treatment depends mainly on reducing the feeling of pain.
Home relievants of joints and bone pain:
- Eat healthy balanced food, and depend on healthy sources of carbs like potatoes and rice, and fats like: avocado, dark chocolate or nuts.
- Stop smoking and drinking alcohol, and avoid fast food.
- Release weight which considers a load on your bones.
- Use a thermal pit pillow in the area of pain, It helps to relieve pain.
- Sleep for 8 hours daily and wake up early that will help in a healthy release of cortisol hormone.
- Drink between 2-3 litres of water everyday.
- Sitting in a comfortable position helps you feel less pain. You can use a medical backrest cushion or coccygeal seat.
- Use medical supports and belts like the knee and elbow support braces.
- Use a medical pillow while sleeping for your neck and shoulders.
- If you sit for a long time, you can buy a neck pillow.
- Massage helps in improving blood circulation in your body and relieving pain.
- Using non-steroidal anti inflammatory medicine.
- Pain relievers (analgesics) and topical ointments.
- Injections of steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs and hyaluronic injections.
- Dietary supplement containing collagen, glucosamine, and chondroitin sulfate
Take these medications under a doctor's supervision. There are some cases that need surgical intervention.
- June 2021
- May 2021
- April 2021
- March 2021