When you feel pain in your lower back extends to your buttocks and your legs you may suffer from sciatica.
Treatment of sciatica by medicines
- Analgesics such as: aspirin and non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs like: ibuprofen.
- Muscle relaxants such as Chlorzoxazone and Carisoprodol.
- Tricyclic antidepressants such as: imipramine (Tofranil), desipramine (nopramine).
- Anti seizures like: Gaptin.
Surgical treatment of sciatica:
Some cases need surgical interference when the patient loses control of the urinary bladder and the bowel.
This case may be due to a herniated disc or bone mutation.
Home treatment of sciatica:
- If your work requires strenuous effort, rest in home will help you, but too much rest may cause the opposite effect in this case, as well as avoid heavy lifting and be careful with that.
- Cold or hot compresses where you feel pain, you can use ice bags or cold gel bags to make cold compresses by placing them on the places of pain for a quarter of an hour, and hot compresses can be made using a thermal pad.
- Getting a massage or massaging the areas where the pain is felt helps relieve pain and improve the condition.
- Sitting in a comfortable position that does not cause pressure on the vertebrae, and this can be done by using some medical pillows.
- Use of painkillers such as: ibuprofen.
Treatment of sciatica by exercise:
1- Pigeon Pose exercise.
2- pigeon pose sitting.
3- Forward pigeon pose.
4- Opposite knee and shoulder exercise.
5- sitting spinal stretch.
6- Standing hamstring stretch.
7- Simple aerobic exercises that do not require effort, such as: walking, cycling, and simple water exercises.
Herbal treatment of sciatica:
- St.John's plant.
These compounds have anti-inflammatory properties that help in sciatica treatment and pain relief.
Sciatica treatment with alternative medicine:
1- Acupuncture: Acupuncture is one of the sciatica treatment that is tried by some and they mentioned that it is effective, while others mentioned the ineffectiveness of acupuncture in relieving sciatica pain, but if you want to try acupuncture, you must choose a practicing specialist who is certificated.
2- Chiropractic: by adjusting the position of the spinal cord.
- February 2022
- December 2021